25 January 2012
Posted in THE NEWS - BRIDPORT NEWS & VIEWS
Could You be a Friend?
POPP, NHS Dorset and WRVS are working together to establish a community befriending service for Bridport and the surrounding villages. Bridport Buddies is a voluntary service, available to anyone in Bridport and local areas.
Volunteers are needed to provide a range of services to people who require additional support to remain independent. Anyone can become a volunteer and make an incredible difference to someone else’s life. By donating just 1 hour per week you can change the life of someone who is lonely or vulnerable.
We also need a volunteer to coordinate the service ie. meeting new clients, interviewing potential volunteers and facilitating the introduction of volunteer and client. Full training and ongoing support and supervision will be available. The coordinator will also be part of a network of coordinators across Dorset, sharing experiences, best practices and support.
Services that will be provided by volunteers include;
- Home visits, sharing a cup of tea and a good conversation
- Accompanying clients on shopping trips or shopping on their behalf
- Reading to those who are visually impaired
- Assisting with correspondence
- Taking clients on short wheelchair excursions
- Accompanying people on short walks
- Sitting to relieve a carer
There is no age limit for volunteers. You just need to;
- possess a willingness and desire to help
- be committed to providing reliable, consistent support
- identify how much time you are able to comfortably give
- identify the kind of service you would like to offer
- enjoy sharing your time with others and meeting new people
The benefits to both volunteers and patients are numerous and rewarding;
- you meet new people
- you learn new things about others and the area in which you live
- clients retain their independence and self-esteem
- volunteers experience a feeling of contributing to an invaluable service and of making a real difference to the life of someone else
Volunteers are warmly welcomed to join Bridport Buddies. The local, volunteer coordinator will meet with other volunteers to talk about the type of work they would most enjoy and then introduce them to a person who will benefit from their support.
Could you be a member of this fantastic team and help to improve someone’s quality of life?
Could you give just 1 hour per week/fortnight to make a real difference?
Could you help to keep someone smiling?
If you would like more information or are interested in being a coordinator or befriender, please call Lisa Knight, NHS Dorset on 01305 368053, Karen Jones, Outreach Worker, Volunteer Centre Dorset on 07918639012 or Sue Herman, POPP Community Leader, 07760 762278.